Saturday, December 09, 2006

RESURRECTION

...................Awoke this morning from a vivid dream. I was shopping in a thrift store and came upon a brightly colored, shimmering green moth preserved and mounted on tinfoil (I know that makes no sense, but dreams are wacky like that). As I carried it around I was very aware of its WEIGHT....its body seemed very solid, it was a large moth....heavy. I bought it and had it set into a shallow box. When I got home, getting out of the car I looked into the box as I carried it in and the moth started to move. First the legs, then all over. I was with someone (dream-thing, no idea who) and called to them to look.....very quickly the moth pulled it together and flew up into the air. It came back to me to thank me for saving it (this is how I perceived it), and butted its head up against my forehead in a cat-like way.....then flew up & up and I watched it get smaller and fly away. I worried a moment when it seemed near some birds that it would be eaten....but it simply flew further & further away til it vanished.

One of those dreams so vivid you can't stop thinking about it, so I looked up moths online this morning and the symbolism seems to be that the emergence from sleep/cocoon state of moths & butterflies is that of an awakening or realized dream, creatively speaking. Appropos given that I am in the process of opening my own vintage store.

Sometimes poking around online looking for things you don't normally look at can prove fascinating. I learned that the moth is often the symbol of insanity based on humans misunderstanding of the moths somewhat suicidal attraction to flame. Also found this page at WHAT'S THAT BUG, which has a section on identifying moths but also the section linked, which is a series of pictures sent by bug-folk of bugs "in love". It simulatneously fascinated and terrified me. Spider sex= more SPIDERS. A loving head butt with a moth I can apparently handle, but spiders.....ack.

Ang

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin